Hand made projects are the best. Especially when you can source your materials right from your backyard! Here are some tips and tricks to creating your own handmade cheese board.
1. First you need to find wood that is already dry and has no signs of rotting.
2. If available use a saw and evenly cut about a 2" thick piece. You can also go to a local lumber yard and have them use a mill saw to create your pieces.
3. Sand down both surfaces with rough sandpaper. I used an electric sander since there was a lot of smoothing to be done on these pieces.
4. Dust off surfaces with a brush.
5. Apply a generous amount of mineral oil to the surface of the board. Coat entire board by rubbing oil in direction of the grain with a lent free rag.
6. Let wood absorb oil and then repeat process. The wood will keep absorbing the oil so continue this until you do not notice any dry spots on the surface.
Do no use vegetable or olive oil on board. These oils will go rancid and leave the board with an unpleasant odor. Look for a food grade oil like the one I mentioned above.